Friday, October 2, 2009

Congrats - Rio



I am happy Rio won the bid, I think the city could really use something like this. They need the help with tourism because people always talk about how dangerous it is.

I don't know if it's because China set a standard for the Olympics, the fact that President Obama went to support Chicago's bid, or Michael Phelps winning big time last year. But I feel like this event is really back on everyone's radar. Or is it me...and I am just growing up and becoming more interested in the rest of the world. Because for the 2004 Olympics in Greece, the only highlight I can remember is the designer they picked to make the outfits (and of course the fact that the Olympics came from Greece).

Here are the ideas from the other countries:


The first one if Madrid, followed by Japan (stadium would have used solar power), and Chicago.

2 comments:

  1. Rio could definitely use some money from a flood of tourism that year. There was so much hype in Chicago for the past five months for thie Olympics bid. Every media in the city was talking about the "great news" we were going to have. On Friday morning, my company even take us all out for breakfast at the bar to 'celebrate'. It was kind of ridiculous but funny in a way. Not just my company but everybody else. I heard the US already spent 20 millions just on the bid. Seriously though, the US doesn't need this, Rio needs it more than you guys...(note - i said 'you guys' and not 'us')...he he I am still THAI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard they spent an insane amount of money...o well, at least you got to 'celebrate' with your coworkers. Still it must have been fun to experience all that hype for the past few months :)

    ReplyDelete